Oysters

07/28/2013

16 Comments

While I love, love, love raw oysters, I confess to an initial fear of trying them at home.  I'm not sure what magical incantation or special training I thought happened at oyster bars, but there was something complex about the process, and for years, I dismissed oyster home love as too intricate for my skill level.

That changed last weekend.  I saw oysters for sale at my fish store, and thought "How hard could it be, really?"  (It's important to credit Kinky Friedman for that phrase.  It was his campaign slogan when he ran for the Texas governor position. Think about that for a second.  It's okay to laugh.)

So, I tackled oysters in steps.  First, I bought knives.  I bought them at LeRoux Kitchen, home of the best balsamic vinegars in the state, and I also came away with some good advice.  I'd intended to buy a protective glove, too, but it turns out, they do not recommend them for oysters.  The preference is to anchor the oyster on a counter, wedged between a folded dishtowel.  This improves stability and lessens the possibilty of contamination.

My knives cost about $8 each.  I bought two.
Then, I bought oysters.  I picked the tightest, cleanest shells I could find.  Although I transported them in an ice-filled bag, I removed the ice when I got home.  Oysters are living creatures, and they do just fine in a loose paper bag in the fridge.
Then I researched mignonette.  Turns out, it's basically shallot, vinegar, and pepper.  Sugar, too.  I substituted sweet onions for shallots.  Interesting fun fact:  Acidic tastes, like lemon or vinegar temper salty tastes.  It's why mignonette or lemon is a great oyster pairing.
And then the cocktail sauce.  For this, I am a purist.  Tomato ketchup and fresh horseradish.  Mmm.
And then, the moment of truth.  I'd like to say that I grasped oyster shucking expertly on the first try, but that's not true.  It's not rocket science, but it does take a bit of practice.  There's a curved side to the oyster and a flat side to the oyster.  Fold a dishtowel around the oyster, with its curved side down.  (This creates a little bucket to slurp from, and it gives a space for the oyster liquor.)  Wrap the dishtowel tightly, so only the hinged part of the oyster is visible.  Brace the wrapped oyster against the counter, insert the knife into the joint, and just start wiggling it around.  It's okay if some of the shell chips.

Eventually, the oyster will open.

And then this happens.
Enjoy!

Challenge:  What sounds too difficult to tackle in your own life?  Why?

Comments

11/07/2014 05:04

Hi there, nice post.

11/07/2014 11:48

To get a good job and a better position in a good company, you must satisfy the company’s demand and for this purpose you must be educated. It is education that helps you to fulfill your dreams.

Read some positive and unique information about SEO then try to apply on your blog. Actually SEO needs some skills and knowledge as well, so search this in Google and save it on your computer.

I hopefully success always

11/24/2014 03:59

With numerous rates in addition to selections through solitaire diamond earrings, picking this you need is usually a daunting action. Although make certain you think in regards to the 4Cs concerning diamonds- minimize, understanding, carat in addition to coloring.

11/24/2014 04:00

Would you at any time hear from your refractive make contact with trade? It could be should the particular contact inside of eyes is absolutely taken out merely a procedure and therefore changed using a clean, away from place an actual. This away from place make contact with that’s granted is absolutely customized in direction of private requirements:

11/24/2014 04:00

Perfume of different manufacturers usually are popular together with persons concerning various age ranges. Fashion well-informed persons world-wide monitor the newest bunch regarding fragrance start in the marketplace. In reality fragrances perform a large place.

11/25/2014 09:00

After we talk around the leading Hindi regular soap almost all watched by means of Zee TELLY online audience, we visualize nothing in addition to Pavitra Rishta. This story connected with Archna in addition to Manav, some sort of Marathi couple of, shows the fact that strong attachment of love between lead set of two turns the matter in the favor while in crisis minutes.

11/25/2014 09:00

CELEB Network, the Uk's leading service for Southern region Asian entertainment as well as a wholly had subsidiary connected with News Institution, has rebranded it is flagship sales channel, Star Furthermore. This is once a Southern region Asian telly station has had such some sort of bold move to rebrand its most in-demand channel.

11/25/2014 10:38

If you don’t have the funds or cut to become a traditional traditional business business owner, don’t really feel disappointed. You may still find a quantity of business opportunities readily available for you which could bring a person tremendous prosperity. All you’ll need is some type of computer and an Web connection.

11/25/2014 10:39

It is crucial that your company has a powerful presence inside your market host to choice. One method to ensure that the brand image includes a significant status is through dressing your own staff within premier clothes. When your visitors enter the actual premises,

11/25/2014 10:39

One invariable priority inside your everyday business ought to be marketing. Your own consistency within advertising as well as promoting your own product and/or support spells the actual difference in between progress as well as downfall.

11/27/2014 20:00

Thanks in support of sharing such a nice thinking

Education and learning offers you confidence in order to endure with community better. An informed person self-confident due to the fact with his / her hands his / her educative stage while others obtained him or her critical consequently this individual avails most chances whilst uneducated person can`t do identical, even though this individual can no person normally takes the idea critical.

12/08/2014 22:08

Hi pal, I think you had the best time in eating your desired raw oysters. I never tried them, because i am so scared of it to eat raw, as well as cooked. Through your post i just came to know about them, so i really wanna make a try. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Really like Difficulty Option Baba ji offers 1 simply call address your difficulties by appreciate astrology. We delivers appreciate problem option solutions, really like spells, adore astrology with quickly helpful final result.